A one year bespoke training and support programme for researchers and associates from the Centre for Agroecology, Water and Resilience – Coventry University delivered with InsightShare.
Program and Approximate Timeframe
Phase 1 – Half day introduction and co-design workshop (October 2015 – complete)
Phase 2 – Three day workshop part 1 (November 30 to December 2, 2015)
Experiencing and learning the PV games and exercises, exploring the role of the facilitator, consent issues, ethics, interviewing, storyboarding etc. Becoming familiar with the equipment.
Phase 3 – Reading and discussion (online and in person) groups (Throughout 2016)
Deepen learning through workshops, study tasks; related literature, case studies and films around participatory methods and PV.
- January 2016 workshop: (Facilitated by Tom Wakeford) “We’ve been participated to death round here”: The politics and ethics of participatory video
- February/March 2016 workshop: Participatory Action Research and Participatory Video
- May 2016 workshop: (Organized by Colin Anderson) Positionality, Privelege and Intersectionality in Participatory Research: Decentering and Choosing the Margins as a Radical Space of Openness. Key reading from Bell Hooks here.
- September 2016 workshop: TBA
- November 2016 workshop: TBA
- Critical discussion on politics/practice of PV + PAR
- I want to think/talk about the epistemic opportunities + limits of PV
- Understanding different cultural narrative structures
- Understanding the theory behind it better
- Reflective learning cycle. PV theory/practice, individual + collective
- Multiple perspectives: “community” & “place” – “Practice”
- Chance to reflect on my PV practice within a community of research
Phase 4 – 3-day workshop part 2 (January or February 2016)
Editing intro, community screening tips, explore PV applications; research, advocacy, MEL, stakeholder engagement. Look at translation issues, action planning and focus on actual CAWR programmes and advocacy goals.
Phase 5 – Remote support – skype while PV in being used in research projects (February to November 2016)
Phase 6 – Sharing and Learning 2-day workshop (December 2016)
Phase 7 – Screening/Celebration Next Steps 1-day workshop (December 2016)
- Establishing critical community of practice
- Setting up PV resource centre
- Develop a working group around participatory methods where we can locate PV at CAWR
- To contribute to building on CAWRs participatory methods practice
- Carrying the work in the area further in CAWR
- Clear position of my next step: research wise
- Local voices: global movements
- Demonstrating participatory methods to colleagues/community
- Develop future projects
- Collaborate on exciting new projects towards positive change