This page contains a working list of references related to the topic of, “Critical Adult Education for Food Sovereignty, Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems” which we are compiling for a special issue of the Agriculture and Human Values with our colleagues from Agroecology and Food Systems program at University of Vic-Central University of Catalonia. Click here to read the call for papers. Papers are currently being reviewed, considered and revised for publication.
The first article in the special issue by David Meek et al. (Food sovereignty education across the Americas: multiple origins, converging movements) is now available.
If you have other literature to suggest for this reference list, please send a full reference and a copy of the PDF if possible to Colin Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbosa, L. P. (2016). Educação do Campo [Education for and by the countryside] as a political project in the context of the struggle for land in Brazil. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 1-26.
- Braun, J. A., & Bogdan, E. (2016). Transitioning Towards Sustainable Food and Farming: Interactions Between Learning and Practice in Community Spaces. In C. R. Anderson, J. Brady, & C. Levkoe (Eds.), Conversations in Food Studies. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press.
- Camacho, R. S., Sobreiro Filho, J., Sobreiro, V. A., & Mariano, E. B. (2016). Evaluation of the relationship between education and sustainability in peasant movements: The experience of the National Education Program in Agrarian Reform. Evaluation and Program Planning, 54, 152–161. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2015.07.009
- Chollett, D. L. (2014). The Native American Organic Garden: Using Service Learning as a Site of Resistance. Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment, 36, 93–104. http://doi.org/10.1111/cuag.12037
- Crosley, K. L. (2013). Advancing the Boundaries of Urban Environmental Education through the Food Justice Movement. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education.
- Fábos, A., Gerber, R., Gulaid, H., & Henderson, S. (2011). Linking local action and global change. Exploring food activism in Worcester, MA through experiential learning. Appetite, 56, 527. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2010.11.195
- Francis, C. A., Jordan, N., Porter, P., Breland, T. A., Lieblein, G., Salomonsson, L., … Langer, V. (2011). Innovative Education in Agroecology: Experiential Learning for a Sustainable Agriculture. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, 30, 226–237. http://doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2011.554497
- Francis, C., Breland, T. A., Østergaard, E., Lieblein, G., & Morse, S. (2012). Phenomenon-Based Learning in Agroecology: A Prerequisite for Transdisciplinarity and Responsible Action. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 120911083006009. http://doi.org/10.1080/10440046.2012.717905
- Francis, C., Østergaard, E., & Nicolaysen, A. M. (2015). Learning Agroecology through Involvement and Reflection. In E. V. Méndez, C. M. Bacon, R. Cohen, & Bliessman (Eds.), Agroecology: A Transdisciplinary, Participatory and Action-oriented Approach (p. 73).
- Galt, R., Clark, S., & Parr, D. (2012). Engaging Values in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Education: Toward an Explicitly Values-Based Pedagogical Approach. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 43–54. http://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2012.023.006
- Galt, R. E., Parr, D., Van Soelen Kim, J., Beckett, J., Lickter, M., & Ballard, H. (2012). Transformative food systems education in a land-grant college of agriculture: the importance of learner-centered inquiries. Agriculture and Human Values, 30, 129–142. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10460-012-9384-8
- Guthman, J. (2008). Bringing good food to others: investigating the subjects of alternative food practice. Cultural Geographies, 15, 431–447. http://doi.org/10.1177/1474474008094315
- Levkoe, C. (2006). Learning Democracy Through Food Justice Movements. Agriculture and Human Values 23 (1): 89-98.
- Lieblein, G., Breland, T. A., Francis, C., & Østergaard, E. (2012). Agroecology Education: Action-oriented Learning and Research. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 18, 27–40. http://doi.org/10.1080/1389224x.2012.638781
- Lieblein, G., Østergaard, E., & Francis, C. (2004). Becoming an Agroecologist through Action Education. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 2(3), 147–153. http://doi.org/10.1080/14735903.2004.9684574
- Martínez-Torres, M. E., & Rosset, P. M. (2014). Diálogo de saberesin La Vía Campesina: food sovereignty and agroecology. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 41, 979–997. http://doi.org/10.1080/03066150.2013.872632
- McCune, N., Reardon, J., & Rosset, P. (2014). Agroecological Formación in Rural Social Movements. Radical Teacher, 98, 31. doi:10.5195/rt.2014.71 Download Here.
- Meek, D. (2015). Learning as territoriality: the political ecology of education in the Brazilian landless workers’ movement. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 42(6), 1179–1200.
- Meek, D., & Tarlau, R. (2015). Critical Food Systems Education and the Question of Race. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 1–5. http://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2015.054.021
- Meek, D., & Tarlau, R. (2016). Critical food systems education (CFSE): educating for food sovereignty. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, 40(3), 237–260. http://doi.org/10.1080/21683565.2015.1130764
- Najjar, D., Spaling, H., & Sinclair, A. J. (2013). Learning about sustainability and gender through Farmer Field Schools in the Taita Hills, Kenya. International Journal of Educational Development, 33(5), 466–475. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2012.06.004
- Østergaard, E., Lieblein, G., Breland, T. A., & Francis, C. (2010). Students Learning Agroecology: Phenomenon-Based Education for Responsible Action. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 16, 23–37. http://doi.org/10.1080/13892240903533053
- Pimbert, M. (2006). Transforming knowledge and ways of knowing for food sovereignty. IIED.
- Rosset, P. M., Machin Sosa, B., Roque Jaime, A. M., & Ávila Lozano, D. R. (2011). The Campesino-to-Campesino agroecology movement of ANAP in Cuba: social process methodology in the construction of sustainable peasant agriculture and food sovereignty. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 38, 161–191.
- Schneider, F., Fry, P., Ledermann, T., & Rist, S. (2009). Social Learning Processes in Swiss Soil Protection—The ‘From Farmer – To Farmer’ Project. Human Ecology, 37(4), 475–489. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10745-009-9262-1
- Sumner, J. (Ed.). (n.d.). Learning, Food, and Sustainability. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sumner, J., & Weaver, C. (2016). Pedagogical Encounters: Critical Food Pedagogy and Transformative Learning in the School and Community. In C. Anderson, J. Brady, & C. Levkoe (Eds.), Conversations in Food Studies. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press.
- Warner, K. D. (2006). Extending agroecology: Grower participation in partnerships is key to social learning. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 21(2), 84–94. http://doi.org/10.1079/RAF2005131