This page contains a working list of references related to the topic of, “Critical Adult Education for Food Sovereignty, Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems” which we are compiling for a special issue of the Agriculture and Human Values with our colleagues from Agroecology and Food Systems program at University of Vic-Central University of Catalonia. Click here to read the call for papers. We will review proposed papers after September 30th and will invite selected authors to submit a full paper into the peer review system by March 1, 2017 at the latest.
If you have other literature to suggest for this reference list, please send a full reference and a copy of the PDF if possible to Colin Anderson at email@example.com
- Barbosa, L. P. (2016). Educação do Campo [Education for and by the countryside] as a political project in the context of the struggle for land in Brazil. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 1-26.
- Braun, J. A., & Bogdan, E. (2016). Transitioning Towards Sustainable Food and Farming: Interactions Between Learning and Practice in Community Spaces. In C. R. Anderson, J. Brady, & C. Levkoe (Eds.), Conversations in Food Studies. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press.
- Camacho, R. S., Sobreiro Filho, J., Sobreiro, V. A., & Mariano, E. B. (2016). Evaluation of the relationship between education and sustainability in peasant movements: The experience of the National Education Program in Agrarian Reform. Evaluation and Program Planning, 54, 152–161. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2015.07.009
- Chollett, D. L. (2014). The Native American Organic Garden: Using Service Learning as a Site of Resistance. Culture, Agriculture, Food and Environment, 36, 93–104. http://doi.org/10.1111/cuag.12037
- Crosley, K. L. (2013). Advancing the Boundaries of Urban Environmental Education through the Food Justice Movement. Canadian Journal of Environmental Education.
- Fábos, A., Gerber, R., Gulaid, H., & Henderson, S. (2011). Linking local action and global change. Exploring food activism in Worcester, MA through experiential learning. Appetite, 56, 527. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2010.11.195
- Francis, C. A., Jordan, N., Porter, P., Breland, T. A., Lieblein, G., Salomonsson, L., … Langer, V. (2011). Innovative Education in Agroecology: Experiential Learning for a Sustainable Agriculture. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences, 30, 226–237. http://doi.org/10.1080/07352689.2011.554497
- Francis, C., Breland, T. A., Østergaard, E., Lieblein, G., & Morse, S. (2012). Phenomenon-Based Learning in Agroecology: A Prerequisite for Transdisciplinarity and Responsible Action. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 120911083006009. http://doi.org/10.1080/10440046.2012.717905
- Francis, C., Østergaard, E., & Nicolaysen, A. M. (2015). Learning Agroecology through Involvement and Reflection. In E. V. Méndez, C. M. Bacon, R. Cohen, & Bliessman (Eds.), Agroecology: A Transdisciplinary, Participatory and Action-oriented Approach (p. 73).
- Galt, R., Clark, S., & Parr, D. (2012). Engaging Values in Sustainable Agriculture and Food Systems Education: Toward an Explicitly Values-Based Pedagogical Approach. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 43–54. http://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2012.023.006
- Galt, R. E., Parr, D., Van Soelen Kim, J., Beckett, J., Lickter, M., & Ballard, H. (2012). Transformative food systems education in a land-grant college of agriculture: the importance of learner-centered inquiries. Agriculture and Human Values, 30, 129–142. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10460-012-9384-8
- Guthman, J. (2008). Bringing good food to others: investigating the subjects of alternative food practice. Cultural Geographies, 15, 431–447. http://doi.org/10.1177/1474474008094315
- Levkoe, C. (2006). Learning Democracy Through Food Justice Movements. Agriculture and Human Values 23 (1): 89-98.
- Lieblein, G., Breland, T. A., Francis, C., & Østergaard, E. (2012). Agroecology Education: Action-oriented Learning and Research. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 18, 27–40. http://doi.org/10.1080/1389224x.2012.638781
- Lieblein, G., Østergaard, E., & Francis, C. (2004). Becoming an Agroecologist through Action Education. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability, 2(3), 147–153. http://doi.org/10.1080/14735903.2004.9684574
- Martínez-Torres, M. E., & Rosset, P. M. (2014). Diálogo de saberesin La Vía Campesina: food sovereignty and agroecology. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 41, 979–997. http://doi.org/10.1080/03066150.2013.872632
- McCune, N., Reardon, J., & Rosset, P. (2014). Agroecological Formación in Rural Social Movements. Radical Teacher, 98, 31. doi:10.5195/rt.2014.71 Download Here.
- Meek, D. (2015). Learning as territoriality: the political ecology of education in the Brazilian landless workers’ movement. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 42(6), 1179–1200.
- Meek, D., & Tarlau, R. (2015). Critical Food Systems Education and the Question of Race. Journal of Agriculture, Food Systems, and Community Development, 1–5. http://doi.org/10.5304/jafscd.2015.054.021
- Meek, D., & Tarlau, R. (2016). Critical food systems education (CFSE): educating for food sovereignty. Agroecology and Sustainable Food Systems, 40(3), 237–260. http://doi.org/10.1080/21683565.2015.1130764
- Najjar, D., Spaling, H., & Sinclair, A. J. (2013). Learning about sustainability and gender through Farmer Field Schools in the Taita Hills, Kenya. International Journal of Educational Development, 33(5), 466–475. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2012.06.004
- Østergaard, E., Lieblein, G., Breland, T. A., & Francis, C. (2010). Students Learning Agroecology: Phenomenon-Based Education for Responsible Action. The Journal of Agricultural Education and Extension, 16, 23–37. http://doi.org/10.1080/13892240903533053
- Pimbert, M. (2006). Transforming knowledge and ways of knowing for food sovereignty. IIED.
- Rosset, P. M., Machin Sosa, B., Roque Jaime, A. M., & Ávila Lozano, D. R. (2011). The Campesino-to-Campesino agroecology movement of ANAP in Cuba: social process methodology in the construction of sustainable peasant agriculture and food sovereignty. The Journal of Peasant Studies, 38, 161–191.
- Schneider, F., Fry, P., Ledermann, T., & Rist, S. (2009). Social Learning Processes in Swiss Soil Protection—The ‘From Farmer – To Farmer’ Project. Human Ecology, 37(4), 475–489. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10745-009-9262-1
- Sumner, J. (Ed.). (n.d.). Learning, Food, and Sustainability. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Sumner, J., & Weaver, C. (2016). Pedagogical Encounters: Critical Food Pedagogy and Transformative Learning in the School and Community. In C. Anderson, J. Brady, & C. Levkoe (Eds.), Conversations in Food Studies. Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press.
- Warner, K. D. (2006). Extending agroecology: Grower participation in partnerships is key to social learning. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems, 21(2), 84–94. http://doi.org/10.1079/RAF2005131